Have you ever experienced alarming changes in your skin after starting to use a new skincare product? Are you convinced that blemishes, blackheads, and whiteheads can only signal a reaction of your skin to a new product? Are you aware that these spots can also signal the start of purging due to a positive effect of the ingredients? We need to understand what skin purging is, how to distinguish it from a skin reaction, and how to manage it.
Is your skin reacting or purging?
The reacting skin is an immediate result of a treatment or product that typically involve redness, heat, or itchiness. Purging, however, usually starts a couple of days later.
Purging is triggered by active ingredients like retinoids, AHAs, BHAs, or chemical peels. Environ skincare works with highly active ingredients such as vitamins, especially vitamin A, antioxidants, and peptides, which make noticeable positive changes in your skin.
The active ingredients remove all the skin impurities trapped in the inner layers of your skin, stimulate the skin cells to a faster turnover leading to increased shedding of older cells and the production of newer, fresher looking skin. Purging is a sign of something good started in your skin.
However, the new cells which are formed at the deepest layer of the skin rise to the surface and bring with them any excess sebum, blockages that may have been forming in your pores. This can lead to a temporary increase in blemishes and pimples as the excess oil and dead skin cells block the oil-producing glands in the skin. The affected pores bulge outward, creating bumps we call papules, pimples or blemishes. Therefore, skin purging can happen regardless of how careful you are.
It can also occur when our skin barrier is compromised due to aging, genetics or external contributors, like over-cleansing and UV exposure. Some people have more sensitive skin than others so their purging process could be more intense. Damaged skin is easily recognisable: it is dry, dull, red, sensitive, flaky, tight, itchy, rough to the touch, there are fine lines, increased breakouts and rashes all over the face.
However, the dryness, redness or breakouts that occur through purging is only temporary. This is just due to the adjustment phase. Eventually, the skin will clear and will look better than ever.
Pro tips to treat temporary pimples
Keep in mind when you start to use Environ skincare products although they work with highly active ingredients, vitamin A, antioxidants and peptides, it might take two-three months to see the results as it can take time for the skin to get adjusted to the products and for the benefits to appear.
- Be patient. Yes, your skin might go worst before it gets better.
- Keep going with the product or treatment! Please remember that the skin takes approximately one month or even longer to renew itself. Your skin will get better in a few weeks’ time.
- If your skin is damaged, first repair the barrier function, then slowly introduce the product.
- Treat the skin gently to soothe the inflammation help remove impurities by using non-irritating formulas like a sulfate-free cleanser and a skin-calming moisturiser.
- Don’t pick at the acne, it could lead to permanent scarring.
- Don’t use drying products, like exfoliating acids. Several spot treatments contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, which excessively dry out the skin.
- Don’t try any home remedies on your face while your skin is purging. They can aggravate skin sensitivity and lead to unwanted rashes.
- If your skin feels dry and tight, slow down your use of the new product. Ask your therapist for advice.
“Start low and go slow!”
Environ products are always tested on humans, the first tester is the company’s founder and scientific director, Dr Des Fernandes, who is a world-leading plastic surgeon.
He found that the retinoid acid Vitamin A yields quick results in rejuvenating mature skin but can cause harsh side effects.
Through diligent research, he has figured out the “Step-up” Vitamin A Skincare System to avoid the retinoid reaction of sensitive skin.
New clients start with a low dosage of the active ingredient, which is gradually increased with the next product.
Transient flaking, redness, pimples, dryness, or temporary swelling can still occur as part of the skin healing process, but in a milder form.
Environ also offers various hydrating cleansers, toners, and gentle but intensive products to soothe the sensitive, problematic, or dry skin. Your certified therapist will be happy to discuss your needs and offer non-invasive treatment and bespoke facial options for your specific skin problems.
Your patience will be rewarded with radiant, younger-looking skin.